Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my Kimber sometimes won't go fully into battery, and is stuck to the point where a smack on the rear of the slide won't move it, what might the problem be? It does this using Wilson and McCormick mags and it does not seem to be ammo specific. Is it the infamous Kimber tight chamber, perhaps? The gun would run perfectly if not for this. BTW, the gun has approx. 5-600 rounds through it, so I think it is fairly broken in.

Thanks to anyone who feels like answering what is probably a very tiresome question by now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response! Thinking out loud is definitely a good thing. As you can tell, I'm no expert on the 1911, nor do I pretend to know anything (trying to become a convert from Glock), and no advice is too simple for me.

I have not contacted Kimber for a couple of reasons. One is because I'm a lazy, procrastinating fellow, and two is because it is not a consistent problem. The pistol has gone a couple of hundred rounds just fine; otoh, it has done the previously described malfunction 4-5 times in 50 rounds. I'm quite sure that if Kimber asks to have it sent in, they'll test fire it, it'll work fine, and they'll send it back saying there's nothing wrong.

Maybe this particular pistol does need some more break in time? Maybe it is an extractor related problem? I dunno. Based on what you mentioned, I will ask a local gunsmith that is considered to be knowledgeable to look at it with me.

Thanks again for your thoughts on the matter. I appreciate you taking the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with my Custom Classic. I have about 1200 rounds through mine and still get the failure to go into battery about twice per box. It happened more frequently at about 500-700 rounds. It doesn't happen all the time, just enough for me not to trust the gun.

I called Kimber customer service and a polite gentleman advised me to change the recoil spring to 18.5# and lube the rails with Tetra. He said that at the frequency the malfunction was occurring it is hard to distinguish btwn pistol, magazine, ammo or shooter error (limp wristing a 1911? I didn't know you could). I think it's the gun b/c I have 2 other 1911's that run fine on the same magazines and ammo. I'm gonna try the new spring and see how it goes.

Good luck,
~lurker

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lurker,

If it's not too much trouble, would you kindly post the results of your findings in this thread? I will give the recoil spring a try as well.

Thank you, sir. Your input is greatly appreciated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David on 2001-08-20 22:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Gold Match had battery failures as well. They ended when i began using the Wilson Combat chamber cleaning tool. (Kimbers are known for their tight chambers.)

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/accessories ... enance.asp

I also use 18.5 # springs and Tetra Lube on the slide rails. i clean every 500 rounds. It has been approx. 4000 rounds now without a single malfunction.
Try it you'll like it.
Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
David

I think your situation is a combination of a couple of things. The combination is ammo that does not have a perfect crimp, and probably a tight chamber, or more properly a mis-machined chamber. Kimber, or their supplier, uses an electron discharge machining method and sometimes they do not properly complete the job. They assume their "as machined" condition is good enough, but sometimes it is not. The next time you clean your pistol take a good look at the chamber, does it look perfectly smooth, or can you see tooling marks or any other surfce roughness. It does not take much of a raised surface for a sharp case mouth to catch. The fix for this situation is to send your pistol back to Kimber for a polish job since the pistol is still under warranty, though for the cost of shipping a good local gunsmith can do the job for you as well.

I hope this helps.
PaulB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.