Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of having a 1911 5" gun built. It will be used for defense and IDPA. I am looking for a high quality hammer, sear and disconnector. I understand that the person doing the work is the most important factor. However, is there one brand that is better than everything else? Price isn't a factor. Long lasting quality is.

Any information would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
EGW gets the nod from a lot of people on the sear, including Mr Teddy Jacobson (though he markets his own now, and also an hammer and a disconnector, which are all certainly worth checking out). EGW disconnectors are also quality parts.

I would say STI and Nowlin (or Mr Jacobson) for the hammer.

Personally, I might buy the Jacobson stuff just because I like him and I think he would not stand behind anything less than an high-quality part.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: telackey on 2001-06-11 16:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
OK, time for a blatant advertisement. I think the best is mine, "BCP Carryguns" hammer set. I recently had a proprietary designed tool steel hammer made up with matching sear and disconnector.

I put one of the first into a gun I finished today.

The set, which is unconditionally guaranteed, is $130. It ain't cheap but it is the best set I have EVER used.

My old standbys were the tool steel CMC sets, prepped. I have also used the C&S stuff.

These are better than either for the style guns I build. Gotta say I am thrilled with them. My first production delivery will be in a couple of weeks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-12 02:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Dane, what sets your hammer/seat/disconnector set apart from
other ones on the market? Quality of
steel/heat treat/finishing? I'm curious :smile:
Tell us more about it, sounds interesting.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
For those that don't know there are very few players in the parts business. A few guys make most of the parts and everyone puts their own names on them.

There is some amazing steels and heat treats available. And a few incredible manufacturers who can deliver the very best. What I did was get hooked up with the best maker in the country. I had him use the best metal, the best heat treat, the best finish and added a few things for cosmetics and durability and design of my own, with MONEY NO OBJECT! I wanted the very best PERIOD!

NO COMPROMISES!

Seems no one until now was willing to pony up for this quality.

From my personal introduction I had high hopes and a great deal of trust.

The UNCONDITIONAL guarantee on the parts says it all. The rest of the info, past tool steel, you're on your own for. That info didn't come free to me or the actual manufacture. I am not disappointed. I won't make much money even at $130 a set, but they are mine, all mine, and you can buy them and get a trigger job I bet even Teddy will approve of :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-12 02:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Hey Mute:)

Nothing is "drop in" IMO but these are the best I have ever worked with, with or without a additional professional attention to detail. If anything is going to give you a nice trigger, "drop in", this system will.

They are prepped and ready to go for the vast majority IMO.

I will be selling them as a three piece kit, after market. (hammer, sear and disconnector) I will also have wholesale priceing for those in the business shortly.
All *unconditionally* guaranteed. Which says a lot from the manufacturer and from me.

I am on line for a quick second delivery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heya Dane,

NICE WORK! :grin: Should be darn near, if not the, perfect parts for a hard use carry gun application where max durability is important. I'll give you a call to discuss...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Litespeed on 2001-06-13 22:06 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Litespeed on 2001-06-13 22:09 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Nothing is "drop in". But you knew that :grin: For a reference the actual majority of the pull weight is defined by the leaf spring.

But from a normal Colt leaf spring you are looking at a 3.5# pull with the gear dropped in a stock Kimber, OR LESS.

More important to me, if you wanted, you could take this set down to 2# easily and up to a incredible trigger that feels like 3# when it is actually 5#.

I suspect the sets will come with a written page on how to make a good carry job from the parts with little effort. (Just one more thing on my "to do" list)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.