Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Skeeter Skelton, although he has not written anything in a good while. :smile: Why? It was his incredible talent to spin a story and mix in gunlore at the same time. Favorite gun rag? Right now it's American Handgunner, yea the one that's currently on the shit list of numerous readers. But when Skeeter was alive, it was Shooting Times. Now that Elmer, Skeeter, and Bill Jordan are gone, gun rags just aren't the same.

Neal

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neal on 2001-06-11 19:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dang Teddy, you are to fast for me. You replied while I was editing my post. Yes Skeeter has been gone for a good while, but he was a great one!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ken Hackathorn
Charles Petty
and you Teddy, at least the stuff you
have written here. :grin:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I like just about all the writers for Precision Shooting. Especially Dave Brennan, editor and his "classical literature quotes", Dick Write and the humor in his writing. The whole magazine is a must read, plus "The Last Post", is about well known shooters, et. final resting place and a little of there history. Jordan, Keith, O'Conner, Skeeter, et. were always favorite reads too. Mike

·
Registered
350 Posts
My favorite contemporary gun writer is Massad Ayoob. While I do not know him personally his style of writing speaks to me. I also enjoy reading articles by Clint Smith. I somewhat enjoy the commentaries by Jeff Cooper but I very much enjoy his books. Really good stuff. Jake

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
AH, I think... On second thought never mind :grin:

Good ones you mean?

Ross Seyfried
Skeeter and Bart Skelton
Ken Hackathorn
Col. Cooper
D. K. Prigen
Rob Jones
Tom Givens
"Jim Grover"
Gila Hayes
Mas Ayoob
Walt Rauch

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sheriff Jim Wilson, cause I like his historical perspective on firearms and the he likes a good revolver and an uncluttered 1911 (without alotta dodads).

Mike Venturino, I like 19th century firearms.

Garry James, Historical firearms.

Jan Liboural, common sense writer who doesn't have to have a $3000 handgun to feel protected.

Col. Cooper, great perspective on firearms. I only wish that he would drop the royal "we" when he describes what HE thinks.

Layne Simpson, good all around writer on handguns and rifles.

Finn Aargard (sadly no longer with us) I miss his common sense and perspective on rifles especially mauser type bolt actions.

Oddly enough the only thing I hunt (grouse) is with a shotgun. But damned if I can think of one writer who has influnced me in this area..............Mike

American Rifleman (NRA)
Shooting Times
Handloader
Rifle
Guns
Gun World

Mags that I have dropped....
Guns & Ammo
Handguns
Combat Handguns
Rifle Shooter

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: timujin on 2001-06-11 22:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I always like Bill Jordan. He lived in a city across the river from me and I'd see him occasionally at a couple places around town...The magazines have changed, I liked "GUNS" and lately just whatever catches my eye. Some of the most interesting writings I've read are from some smiths at different times. The info usually went over my head but I saved every one of those old mags that had that kind of info. Handgunner had them with a Mr. Wood and a Mr.Lawson...The Simpson and Libourel and Seyfried pieces I liked, and Colonel Jeff Cooper was always hilarious...Lots I guess at different times and for different things. Most of it was just entertainment and I liked to read...Of course, when we finally got color TV I just read at bedtime for an hour or so...I still have magazines from the 70s and on up that had stuff I liked in them...My son reads them now...

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-06-11 22:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
gyp_c2, I take it you like my little 'blaster smiley' eh?

Try this on for size:

:lol:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Gotta' love 'em....Drop me a note off line or a private message...please, I'd like to know a lil' more :wink:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Several of you mentioned Ross Seyfried. A very articulate man. Did you ever see him shoot? He won the IPSC Nationals in 1978 and IPSC World Championship in 1981.

He came to Houston after the World Championship and gave a one-day shooting class to a small group of us. What a gentleman! A great teacher.

The one piece of advice I remember most was to take an extra fraction of a second to get set on your first target before firing and moving on. He looked quite deliberate doing this. He was smooth and very fast, yet unhurried. He shot a rather simple 5" Colt from a holster positioned slightly behind his right hip. Learned a lot from him.

The sport hadn't gotten "gamey" yet in 1981.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-06-11 23:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
581 Posts
Dean Spier is my favorite writer. The stuff he writes for the Weekly World News and The National Enquirer is great.

Actually John Feamster, the author of Black Magic and Precision Shooting fame is a great shooter and a great author. Very down to earth.

Peter Hathaway Capstick, although not a gun writer really, had a way with words. I hope to see his widow next fall in Pretoria, South Africa following the world shoot.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
580 Posts
Chuck Taylor. Chuck does his research, pays due attention to History and has his long teaching/experience & Combat to draw on. Good @ de-bunking and a straight-ahead, no-Bull guy same as Teddy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I enjoyed your comments so far and I know a lot of the people you mentioned. I have learned a lot from these comments on how you analize these people. I like Gila Hayes and Layne Simpson. Lets not forget John Taffin.
I once wrote Jim Wilson a letter to his home but I do not think he liked my evaluation of his article on a kimber in shooting Times sept. 1999. Mike Boyle is a nice guy, and so is william Bell. My personal favorite gun writer was TOM FERGUSON of GUN WORLD. Tom is no longer with us but he was one of the best friends I ever had. I have always been friendly with Hal Swiggett. I could go on and on and it brings back some fond memories. I am quite friendly with Bob Campbell. I have done over 150 guns for gun writers some have played it strait with me and others have not. I have always kept a daily diary of my life so I can reference any day and any year. Please keep up the comments and I will talk so more about these writers.

Teddy

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jeff Cooper
Ken Hackathorn
Peter Kokalis

Col Cooper writes like no one else, in addition to great articles on equipment and tactics, outstanding commentarty on the state of the world at large.

Ken Hackathorn does not know it, but he has been one of 2 or 3 major influences on me in my pistolsmithing career.

IMO, Peter Kokalis is without peer as a technical writer on small arms.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve Morrison on 2001-06-12 01:17 ]</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jim Carmichel
Shooting Editor for
Outdoor Life.
Strictly long guns.
His articles are well
researched and exceptionally
well written.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ross Seyfried is tops. He's so knowledgable about so many aspects of shooting it makes me dizzy. He sparked my interest in Bisley revolvers, hard cast bullets with large meplats, and Forsythe technology. Because of him, I have learned to perform outstanding results with firearms we would typically consider obsolete.

When I hear the name Ross Seyfried, this is what comes to mind:

Bisley 45 Colts revolvers

rifles of at least .338 cal.

Beretta ASE 90

Bullets cast from LBT moulds

Forsythe technology

Ross is GOOD. Very good. He has great insight, and is also a world champion. What more can you ask for?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts