Pistol Smith Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
On 2001-06-12 17:15, Teddy Jacobson wrote:
WHAT I SAID ABOUT YOUR BOY RICK WAS THAT HE DID NOT TELL THE TRUTH, HE MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT CONSTITUTES QUALITY IN A NEW 1911 OUT OF THE BOX, JUST LIKE YOU MAY NOT.

DO NOT ADDRESS ME ANYMORE.
Well, that's a bit better, I suppose. At least you are allowing that he is telling the truth from his point of view...which you view as being less informed than your own. I can accept, if not agree, with that. It is a much more accurate and courteous position than calling him a liar, which anyone who knows Rick will tell you he is NOT.

If you'll do me the courtesy of not slandering my friends or myself with inaccurate statements, I will gladly refrain from addressing you. After all, what's the point? I don't value your opinions or like you. Go back to sipping your own bath water.
Rosco

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
On 2001-06-12 16:55, JLM wrote:
HEHEHEH :lol: Shane's got the right idea I think!

Looks like I unleashed a monster with the 'custom' smilie's :wink: I dunno if they
are 'best grade' or not thou :lol:
Yeah, you've definitely unleashed the monster Justin - thanks - they're TOO cool.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Did I mention that these gun writer threads have a habit of turning nasty?

I have met Roscoe and shot a few rounds with him and even given his sorry mug a big kiss.

I learned some time ago that picking on someone else's friends isn't a good policy on the net.

I unlike Rosco, have no use for one of his friends but I don't hold that against Rosco and to be truthful I only know Dean from his net persona. Even when Rosco posts Dean's comments on list...at least the first time :wink: Anyway Rosco is always welcome in my home and I don't easily make that offer.

To my knowledge Rick is not on list so I think it better we not do another public roast when the guy isn't here to speak for himself. Neither is Dean, so he is off limits for derogatory remarks.

If nothing else, we can all live, learn and move on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-13 12:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
138 Posts
Elmer Keith
Charles Askins
Skeeter Skelton
I would not argue on any picks I have seen posted all have had good articles.

on outdoor writers
Capstick is good reading and the Russell Annabell books are pretty good . Also can not forget Pat McManus for the ability to make my eyes water.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have had conversations with gun writers and gunsmiths all over this country. Conversations none of you would ever be priviled to have, I know from their conversations when we get into a technical discussion, what they know and what they do not know. What I say here is public. I call a spade a spade, I have no disire to keep offending people but I have the advantage of knowing how the game is played from the inside. I do not hide from anyone and if they want to talk with me about the article they have written my number is 281 277 4008. I can back up anything I have said, with technical experience I have had. I had good intentions of trying to educate some of you but as a hole, only the ones with an open mind will ever under stand where I am coming from. I certainly am not stopping any one from defending them selves, I will discuss any detailed article ever written by anyone. I do not speak for any one but myself. If some one wants to stick up for their friends with out knowing what they are talking about, that just shows how ignorant they really are. I do not expect to be commenting much longer on this forum anyway. I have had 60 articles written about the quality of my work by some excellent gun writters.

Teddy Jacobson / pistolsmith
http://www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008

G

·
Guys,
I look forward to columns by Taylor, Rauch, Johnston, and Ayoob, if I left someone out it is not on purpose. I find Chuck Karwan's and Peter Kokalis weapon and ammo reviews/recomendations to be solid and on point with my own experience.
I liked both Ken Breed and Greg Walkers knife articles and I wish someone would ressurect Walkers knife magazine, Tommy Carter and Randy storm are also good knowledgable writers and I wish they would write some good stuff again.

·
Registered
705 Posts
On 2001-06-12 21:57, Teddy Jacobson wrote:
I have had conversations with gun writers and gunsmiths all over this country. Conversations none of you would ever be priviled to have, I know from their conversations when we get into a technical discussion, what they know and what they do not know. What I say here is public. I call a spade a spade, I have no disire to keep offending people but I have the advantage of knowing how the game is played from the inside. I do not hide from anyone and if they want to talk with me about the article they have written my number is 281 277 4008. I can back up anything I have said, with technical experience I have had. I had good intentions of trying to educate some of you but as a hole, only the ones with an open mind will ever under stand where I am coming from. I certainly am not stopping any one from defending them selves, I will discuss any detailed article ever written by anyone. I do not speak for any one but myself. If some one wants to stick up for their friends with out knowing what they are talking about, that just shows how ignorant they really are. I do not expect to be commenting much longer on this forum anyway. I have had 60 articles written about the quality of my work by some excellent gun writters.

Teddy Jacobson / pistolsmith
http://www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
Maybe it just me but as someone new to all this custom work I appreciate hearing from you guys in the field.

I do think sometimes net is the bane of tactful replies and makes some people come off worse than they actually are.

Tim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KIMBGLOCK on 2001-06-12 22:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have personally lost alot of money buying "great guns" that where reviewed in some gun magazines to find out they where pieces of shit! Some times the guns received for a story evaluation are not regular out of the box guns, I am sure they get special attention before they leave the factory. Can you really blame a writer if the gun he received was really as good as he reported?

I am talking about semi-custom guns such as Wilson, Les Baer, Kimber custom shop etc..

Not REAL custom guns.

Just my $.02

Shay

·
Registered
579 Posts
Years ago there was a glowing article and review of the Wyoming Arms Parker pistol that just about implied that it could "shoot by itself". I have one, but it Only cost the price of a raffle ticket, so wasn't all that unhappy about it. :sad: It also seems like alot of typewriters shoot good groups too. Mike

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Anyone seen the movie, "Road House"? There was a scene where asked what to do, the answer was, "BE NICE". Asked again what the answer was, "BE NICE". Asked again and it was once again "BE NICE!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-13 02:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
That was a good flick actually. BUT, didn't he basically beat the SNOT out of everyone later? :grin: Not that I advocate such behaviour or anything:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mr. Jacobson, apparently you stated this topic so you could spew some long-stored vitriol. I personally greatly miss some of the old-timers like Bill Jordan. Men of his ilk still exist, such as Jim Wilson, but they're getting to be few and far between. one of the traits that sets these men apart was what I guess you could call a code of honor. You'll find this frequently amongst southwestern peace officers. Mr. Jcobson, you call Mr. Miller a liar when he is not on this forum to defend himself. Where is the integrity in that? If it were a friend of mine and we happened to be face to face you would be on the bad end of an old fashioned monkey-stomping. From what I have read(your posts) I would'nt give you my business if you offered it for free. Semper Fi, Ray Rinehart

·
Registered
515 Posts
Dane,
I'm sorry that I had to be a party to any unpleasantness on your forums. However, I cannot stand idly by while a friend is attacked and called a liar when this is simply not the case. If someone wishes to state that I, or one of my friends, are WRONG about something, then we can have a civil, courteous, and (we hope) illuminating discussion. I am very likely to end up agreeing and rethinking my position. Unlike some folks, I am not so full of myself that I think I (or my friends) are infallible. If the disagreement cannot be resolved, I am content to agree to disagree...agreeably.

Some persons need to understand that if they use "fighting words" they are likely to get a fight. Gratuitous insults, unfounded slanders, and getting on one's "high horse" tend to pretty much kill the chance of civil discourse.

Dane, thanks for the kind words. I like you too. I would prefer to like (or, at least, tolerate) all my fellow shooters...saving my ire for the anti-freedom scoundrels who would disarm us. However some persons behave in a such a way that this is impossible.

Rosco

·
Registered
418 Posts
Anybody remember the Soup Nazi? Well, for some reason, I keep hearing the words "No gun for you" going through my mind. Wonder why.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I am attempting to NOT take sides here. Teddy, you are seemingly stuck in a foul mode. Let me say this once again. BE NICE!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well... Geee... I can think of no real reason to keep this thread open, it's not like we're waiting for someone to return to 'defend' their honor, and I doubt Rick is coming, so what's the point...

It's sad, I really have to agree with Roscoe, watching the fighting, and bickering amongst ourselves truly serves little purpose. There's a BIG fight going on against the Anti's, and we can use all the rage, and hostility there.

Of course, I know, many of you have given up on the Political Prisoners of the PRK, but we are getting hammered again...

Anyway... Can't we all just agree to disagree, and move on...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I look at the pictures and spec sheets mostly. Usually at Barnes & Noble or the range. Can't name a writer. Sorry.

I agree that a little more frequent use of so-called 'manners' wouldn't hurt our public image, but I try to read each post while imagining that it is being said by a close friend with an opinion. And all of my close friends have opinions :smile:

If you think some of what goes on here is bad you should come to one of our Saturday night poker games and see what happens when good friends get together to rehash 20-plus years of friendship and beat each other out of a couple of hundred bucks.

"Yeah I did!" "No you didn't!" "I'm calling your wife and telling."

John

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-13 12:52, JohnBT wrote:
If you think some of what goes on here is bad you should come to one of our Saturday night poker games and see what happens when good friends get together to rehash 20-plus years of friendship and beat each other out of a couple of hundred bucks.

"Yeah I did!" "No you didn't!" "I'm calling your wife and telling."

John
Heheheheee... You Too!!! Ain't that the truth... I think most of what we see is simply misunderstandings... Often times, communicating your thoughts in writing is much harder for some. I know many who might write one thing, but get them on the phone, or face to face, and that same thing becomes much more clear, and WHAT THEY REALLY MEANT was completely different.

It can simply be inflections of the voice... A Pause... Volume... Things that when written, would be punctuation, or some other grammatical technique take on a very new & different meaning.

Sometimes, we just need to step back, and take a breath... Many of us get too serious sometimes, and certainly, I have been known to fly off the handle suddenly if the right button was pushed.

Guess I am done :wink:

41 - 60 of 93 Posts