Pistol Smith Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
On 2001-06-12 22:20, KIMBGLOCK wrote:
[quote:pan4yave]
On 2001-06-12 21:57, Teddy Jacobson wrote:
I have had conversations with gun writers and gunsmiths all over this country. Conversations none of you would ever be priviled to have, I know from their conversations when we get into a technical discussion, what they know and what they do not know. What I say here is public. I call a spade a spade, I have no disire to keep offending people but I have the advantage of knowing how the game is played from the inside. I do not hide from anyone and if they want to talk with me about the article they have written my number is 281 277 4008. I can back up anything I have said, with technical experience I have had. I had good intentions of trying to educate some of you but as a hole, only the ones with an open mind will ever under stand where I am coming from. I certainly am not stopping any one from defending them selves, I will discuss any detailed article ever written by anyone. I do not speak for any one but myself. If some one wants to stick up for their friends with out knowing what they are talking about, that just shows how ignorant they really are. I do not expect to be commenting much longer on this forum anyway. I have had 60 articles written about the quality of my work by some excellent gun writters.

Teddy Jacobson / pistolsmith
http://www.actionsbyt.com
281 277 4008
Maybe its just me but as someone new to all this custom work I appreciate hearing from you guys in the field.

I do think sometimes net is the bane of tactful replies and makes some people come off worse than they actually are.

Tim
[/quote:pan4yave]

Hmm! After reading the thread again, maybe I was wrong. Some people come off just like they are.

It would appear there is a good customer base, business is good, and therefor tact and self-control are no longer a necessary concern. Its hard for me to get past the conceit and learn anything. So why try, when there are several good gunsmiths on this forum that still have that hungry look in their eye and conduct themselves as a teacher not preacher.

As someone new to the 1911 and custom work in general I am sort like a starving dog wanting to eat. I really do appreciate the input of everyone, especially those of you building these fine firearms.

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mr. Jacobson, this will be the last reply I'll make on this subject. I've been reading Mr. Millers articles for years, don't ASSume you know what I have or have not read. If you read my post to you, you'll find that I did not threaten you. Putting my name on your LIST is irrelevant as I would not do business with a person such as you have shown yourself to be. Back up, regroup and think about how you're coming across on these boards. Or don't, I don't personally have any stake in whether you show your a$$ or not. Semper Fi, Ray Rinehart

·
Registered
138 Posts
No disrespect is meant to any posters but this starting to be like watching the couple next door beat the hell out of each other in their front yard.
Just a thought
Gerald

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Look! The wife is winning! Oh, it's the frying pan! Oh, the humanity... :eek:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well my favorite writer may not be a purely gun writer. He's the late Peter Hathaway Capstick. Always kept me well entertained and I learned quit a bit too.

Micheal Macintosh is my favorite writer when it comes to shotguns of any quality. Few can boast his credentials and writing style.

Ross Seyfried gets my vote for the best writer on big bore rifles.

Handgun writers that I admire are all dead. Skelton, Jordan, Milek, they were the best.

Haven't taken a handgun article seriously in many years.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-06-16 19:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
30 Posts
My favorite writer is Mas Ayyob and Jeff Cooper and Teddy Jacobson.

This forun is a place where we post our opinions and help each other, that being said ,I consider Teddy my friend and you just have to appreciatte honesty and integrity and value those qualities.
In my line of work when you open your mouth you better know what you are saying because there will always be an expert in the field
present that has experience or has done some work related to what you are talking about.
In the real world test data has to be validated statistically to be valid and that is all I will say with respect to all this one time gun tests that qualify a one test sample as valid data, they should be viewed as one point on a curve.
Experience in a particular subject can equal test data if it is as extensive as Teddy's.
I have had my run ins with management because I will not lie or compromise my integrity or honesty on my job.The truth will always come out in the open.
Firearms are use to defend one's life and bad advice can cost you your life if you are in law enforcement.
Dont write anything you would not say face to face and you will stay out of trouble.If Mr miller wants to defend his article he should do it himself, the way some of you attack Teddy for being honest is uncalled for as this is america and we all have a right to our opinion and he was just trying to lookout for you.
As Dane said Be nice:)

Carlos M. Castillo

·
Registered
120 Posts
My favorite living writer is Mas Ayoob. Favorite late writer is Elmer Keith. Least favorite writer of all time is Dick Metcalf...he seems to be on the Taurus payroll and pimps for them continuously. Very sickening...

G

·
I agree with David and Richard about Chuck Karwan. His articicle on stopping power in the Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery(3rd ed) is the most balanced I've read. Peter Capstick was great and there will never be another Skeeter. The first gun book I ever read was Cooper on Handguns many years ago and I've been a 1911 man ever since. I still like his commentaries. Mas Ayoob is very good. Walt Rauch, Chuck Taylor, Gabe Suarez, and don't forget Roy Huntington. He definitely calls it like he sees it and in a very entertaining way.
Magazines? Heck, I read them all. I just wish they were all weekly. I guess I'm a gun nut. I can't get enough. I also read most of the gun web sites. I'd really like one of you professionals to comment on Gun Tests magazine. It seems to be an honest publication to me, but I'd like an informed opinion.
Mike Benedict, are you the guy I see at all the Atlanta gun shows with your holsters and leather work?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shotist on 2001-08-31 16:56 ]</font>

·
Registered
95 Posts
Col Cooper, Awerbuck, Rick Miller, Chuck Taylor, Ken Hackathorn, Ross Seyfried (sp?).

Just off the top of my head, these are my favorites. I respectfully have to disagree with Mas on most things, as every month he writes an article that counters the one from the month before..."Why the 1911 rules!" next month--"DAO, it's the answer!" C'mon, pick one...we all like to shoot different guns, and a lot of us carry diffent guns (Circumstances dictate tactics) for different purposes, so I can sort of understand this.

I cannot agree with his perceptions of "liability" though, I think he places emphasis on strange things for liability at times. All of this aside, he does have a good style, and occasionally makes a good point on tactics and carry...occasionally.

Eric

G

·
Am I the only Murbachite we have? I feel we as a community lost a lot when Terry Murbach quit writing. He has a sense of humor and to me that is important.

In regard to Teddy Jacobsen. I have a friend who is a pretty fair gunsmith. His opine is you can like or dislike Teddy but by God he does know triggers!

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well, I sorta' liked Gun Tests magazine. Their idea of a comparative testing was a mite strange at times. The deal-breaker for me was when they tested a Wilson Protector, a Les Baer Premier II, and a third semi-custom 1911 (Briley or Clark). Seems they had a little trouble racking the slide on the new Premier II, so they actually took a file to the barrel hood!!??!! They also griped about the sharp edges on the rear (Bomar) sight. (The LB didn't have the tactical melt job.)

I seem to recall that even with their "improvements" to the barrel lockup, the Les Baer was the most accurate. A more valid comparison would have been between the Wilson, a LB TRS, and a Rock River Arms Commando Gv't. Model or Basic Limited. I can't fault them on their stated opinion/findings of the Wilson, though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am a huge fan of Mr. D.K. Pridgen. Great writer, to the point. Thankfully, he tends to write article about real guns us real guys would like. No exotic raceguns or super-comped, tricked out, IPSC guns. Plus he's from Texas!!!

I do wich we could get more writing from guys like Clint Smith, John Farnam, and Dane Burns. These guys can shed a different light on guns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jan Liboural is my favorite. I used to subscribe to "Hand Gunning," but it is no longer published. I relate to him because he doesn't brag about his past heroics as either a LEO or military type. He also refuses to brag about his "groupings" on target. When someone says, in so many words, "this gun will shoot x-inch groups in the offhand," what he is saying is, "look at me, I'm a great shot." The only accuracy report that means anything to me is a Ransom Rest or some other bench rest. I'm not remotely interested in hearing a writer "brag" about his "offhand" accuracy with the pistol.

·
Registered
515 Posts
On 2001-09-05 09:11, Monty Grubbs wrote:
I am a huge fan of Mr. D.K. Pridgen. Great writer, to the point.
His articles are well-written and contain useful information. I was fortunate to meet Mr. Pridgen at the recent Rangemaster match and training conference. He's a gentleman, a serious student of weaponcraft, and a nice guy.

Rosco

·
Registered
12 Posts
The late great Charles A. Skeeter Skelton, and in his footprints, Jim Wilson and Skeeter's son, Bart. John Taffin is also a favorite and...perhaps my southwestern heritage is showing. All the above add flavor, color, and texture to technical articles. I rarely read the gun rags, except the American Rifleman, but Shooting Times was always my favorite.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts