Pistol Smith Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
This thread was around long before I found pistolsmith.com. My 2 cents: I like a few, all for different aspects. Massad (AKA Massage Myboobs) seems to hit the nail on the head when discussing guns, at least for me. You just have to learn to read his articles and sort of sift for the right info. Walt Rauch writes very readable stuff. Cooper's writings are cheap education. The friend of Dean Speir's, Patrick Rodgers, provides some great insights in SWAT mag, but he doesn't appear to be selling anything so he probably won't generate the interest he deserves. The problem has pretty much been stated...the magazines are really just infomercials.
All in all though...I miss Skeeter.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok easy, Jack O'Conner he was my favorite. For pistols Skeeter Skelton and Jeff Cooper.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bowhunter on 2002-03-09 23:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
76 Posts
Okay guys, I don't mean to add to the chaos, but just had to chime in. I think Mr. Jacobson has gone a little too far in confusing rudeness and belligerence with being straightforward and honest. One can be uncompromising in one's integrity without being abrasive and deliberately offensive. As far as his criticism of Rick Miller's truthfulness goes, I don't buy it. I've read Rick's articles, and the extent of his gun reviews seems to be ' I tried X pistol, and this particular one worked fine for me'. Teddy, how do you know that the particular pistol Rick had DIDN'T work fine for him? Just because a Colt, Springfield, or Kimber hasn't been worked over by a wizard like yourself doesn't mean it's an unreliable piece of crap. Calling a man a liar in a public forum, particularly one related to his profession where he is not present to refute your claims, is not something to be done lightly. I can't blame Rosco for defending his friend, most of us would do the same. Rosco's counter was considerably more articulate than Teddy's, and much politer than I would have been.

In short: bad form, Mr. Jacobson, bad form. You need to realize that the only contact that many of us have with you is on this board, and the way you present yourself here will greatly impact our opinion of you. Many people on this board will either have guns to be worked on in the future or have friends with guns to be worked on who will ask us for recommendations. I for one am a firearms instructor for an agency of 180 officers. I am frequently asked by officers who they should have work on their personally-owned duty and off-duty weapons. You have an excellent reputation for doing good trigger work. However, your posts here indicate a definite lack of character and good judgment, and I'm afraid that makes me unable to recommend that anyone send you a firearm for work. Maybe you have enough work right now that this doesn't matter to you, but believe me, if you keep this up, it will eventually impact your business.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sparky315 on 2002-03-10 00:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
687 Posts
I like Kokalis too. With me he enjoys near-guru status, although he can be too opinionated to the point of narrow-mindedness. Definitely has more hands-on authority to write from than a lot of them, though, esp. with regards to machineguns, their history, operation, and employment. He can come across very curt, but for all his hard-edgedness, in person he can seem comically discombobulated.

Most gun review articles these days seem to me to be short on technical fact and long on fluff. I guess in a way you can't blame them too much-- a magazine is a business, a job, a way to make a living, it is not a non-profit service for shooters and gun owners (although some do a decent job of walking the line). As readers we have to take this into consideration when reading them. I tend to give reviews in the American Rifleman more credence than most.

·
Registered
515 Posts
On 2002-03-10 00:20, sparky315 wrote:
Okay guys, I don't mean to add to the chaos, but just had to chime in. I think Mr. Jacobson has gone a little too far in confusing rudeness and belligerence with being straightforward and honest
For what it's worth, please note that the rancorous exchange between Teddy and myself happened way back last summer. He made some rude and unfounded statements and I responded. I really don't care to see this aspect of the thread ressurected at this point (especially since the more outrageous postings by Teddy were edited/deleted). It's water under the bridge at this point. Especially since Teddy has quit participating on this site.

Rosco

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rosco Benson on 2002-03-10 18:42 ]</font>

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wasn't my intent to resurrect anything, just making a comment. Probably should have looked at the dates of the original exchange, though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My favorite wrter at this time is Roy Huntington. He offers a good perspective and I like his style of prose. Another good writer in my opinion is Ken Hackathorn, he manages to come across as knowledgeable with out seeming to know it all. I believe a writer to watch in the future will be Rob Garrett. I know Rob and he is more a less a good guy and a fair writer, with a little more seasoning he could be one of the better writers of my generation.
I have a few dislikes as well, Chuck Taylor just seems silly to me, I recently re-read his article on the debate between stopping power of the .357 magnum and the .45 acp. He claimed the .45 hardball to be the better choice, over the .357 mag,125 grn jhp. well that still has me giggling.. Another self server IMHO is Duane Thomas, his articles are more or less "this is what I say and if you disagree then you are wrong." but this is Dennis Miller often rants is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have always loved the writing style found in Motorcyclist and Cycle World magazines. I wish our gun magazines could emulate it. They manage to go techinically deep without leaving beginners behind. These guys write with intelligence, wit, and style, that pulls you into an article you may not even have thought you'd like.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thomas is great entertainment. Each month, he finds his new "ultimate carry gun" and spends the article refuting the claims he'd made from the previous month.

One of the last articles I read of his dealt with his choice of the S&W 4586 as the perfect weapon for his new security guard job.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Mas Ayoob and Leroy Thompson.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts