Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like "Stairway", but "Hotel California" is probably my fav., Janis Joplin's version of "Summertime", CCR's "Proud Mary", and Aretha Franklin's "R.E.S.P.E.C.T." are right up there.
Hell, I like almost anything that ROCKS!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zeppelin's entire album (IV) was written during a lengthy stay at the Bon-y-ar cabin in the Swiss Alps if memory serves. The band was taking a badly needed break and getting 'away from it all' while working on new material.

From what I've read, and this is strictly from memory.... Plant woke up one morning and heard Page downstairs working on some catchy guitar stuff. As he descended the stairs, he began to sing the words to what would later become Stairway to Heaven. They sat down and worked the lyrics out on paper, in mere minutes. The other two guys woke up and later claimed there was magic in the air that day. They literally wrote the greatest smash hit of all times in a single morning IN A CABIN IN THE WOODS!

I have every version of the song I can find and still prefer the studio version on IV. They really nailed it. Hotel is a pretty decent song and the Eagles did some fine work, don't be offended... But nothing I've ever heard comes close to the pure rapture of Stairway. Even Zeppelin couldn't top it!

Regards,
Callahan

·
Registered
628 Posts
I like "Physical Graffiti" myself :grin:

"Life In The Fast Lane" is another awesome Eagles soon too :grin:

You can't go wrong with Zep IV, though. Or just do the smart thing, and buy the boxed CD set of the whole collection, digitally remastered :grin:

·
Registered
581 Posts
When I was stationed in Germany in the early 90’s I acquired a massive collection of bootleg Led Zeppelin. I have a few real funky versions of Stairway. But, I was always looking for versions of No Quarter. I have one that turns into a 20 minute piano solo that JPJ starts playing the Maple Leaf Rag.

I like One, Presence and In Through the Out Door. I don’t much care for Four actually. Hey Hey What can I do is tops along with the Lemon Song and Tea For One.

Then there is TOOL.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. I, too, like "Stairway to Heaven." Too bad you hear it now in "elevator music"!
Another "kick ass" rock classic would be Ted Nugent's "Stranglehold."

Best.

PS: But, damn! You gotta have some BB King, too. Some Ponty Bone and the Squeezetones helps as well. Also a healthy dose of classics and semiclassical. You can keep the opera.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stranglehold! Yeah, forgot about that one. Man, the studio version is great but Teddy's got some live versions out there that are absolutely HYPNOTIC!!

Cat Scratch Fever is cool, but Teddy goes over the line with chorus repeats IMHO. It's certainly hard to beat Nugent's politics. Then man has that "founding fathers" thing going on. Very refreshing. I think Metallica is the same way. If one didn't know when the song And Justice for All was released, one would SWEAR Hetfield was singing about Janet Reno.

Regards,
Callahan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Inspector Harry Callahan on 2001-09-02 22:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Nugent?

Look at my signature line :grin:

·
Registered
50 Posts
For me it's SRV, but I'm a Blues guy, also Robin Trower, I did see Zep back in the late 60's, it was a two show night for them and Bonham was so drunk they played about two thirds of the show with him passed out and JPJ's hitting him in the back with his bass!
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love the classics, but I fell in love with a Creedence song a few years ago.

The song is only on one album that I know of, Cosmos Factory. It is track one, Ramble Tamble. The funk, the slow into the fast makes a great driving tune.

Check it out, it will make a believer out of you.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Stairway is definitely up there at the top of the list. Along with it, I would place Hendrix's version of Watchtower.

·
Registered
628 Posts
"Machine Gun" by Hendrix, from the Band of Gypsy's CD........ :grin:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.